Take-Two Interactive has asked a federal court to order Microsoft and Discord to hand over account records. The records relate to the leak of Grand Theft Auto 6 gameplay footage, and the publisher wants them to help identify the GTA 6 leaker behind the clips. It filed the petitions with the Southern District Court of New York on August 20.
Take-Two is Rockstar Games‘ parent company. Its filing states that the subpoenas are meant “to obtain the identity of an alleged infringer or infringers.” Any information Microsoft and Discord hand over will only be used to protect the company’s copyright, according to the petition. The leaked material includes gameplay video, artwork, and dialogue posted online ahead of the game’s November launch.
What the GTA 6 leaker subpoenas seek
One petition names a GitHub repository where infringing content was posted. It gives Microsoft until September 4 to produce internal investigative records tied to a persona called “cyberleek.” Take-Two wants Microsoft to identify the account holder, along with any linked Xbox or OneDrive accounts.
The request to Discord covers every account that communicated in a list of named servers between June 1, 2026 and the present. For each account, Take-Two wants the registration email, IP addresses at signup and last login, phone number, and linked platform connections. It also wants device identifiers and any content referencing GTA, Rockstar, or Cyberleek pulled from a linked OneDrive account. Discord faces the same September 4 deadline.
A streamer says he was named by mistake
Among the servers listed in the Discord subpoena is one belonging to Matthew “Matt” Judge, the GTA 5 streamer known online as DarkViperAU. Judge responded on X, writing, “They’re asking for my discord info, I’m mentioned by name. I don’t know anything. That isn’t my editors discord. There aren’t even any clips of the leaks in either of my Discords.”
Judge added that a passing comment may have drawn the leaker’s attention to his server. He had joked that the character in the leaked clips “can’t drive.” He said Rockstar has not contacted him directly about the matter.
Rockstar Games has not commented on the leak or the subpoena filings. The person or group behind the “Cyberleek” alias has not been identified. The leaked clips have circulated alongside a manifesto criticizing industry practices such as digital pre-orders and paywalled downloadable content. The same source has also promoted a cryptocurrency meme coin tied to the leaks.
The subpoenas are among the more aggressive legal steps Take-Two has taken since footage from GTA 6 first began appearing online. Copyright takedown notices had already been used to pull individual clips from social platforms. Those requests did little to slow the spread of new footage in the weeks that followed.
Grand Theft Auto 6 is scheduled to launch in November. The leaked clips have already surfaced discussion of mechanics and world details that Rockstar Games had not shown in its own marketing.
Take-Two’s petitions ask the court to compel both companies to respond by September 4, though neither Microsoft nor Discord has publicly addressed the requests.
- The Discord subpoena covers accounts linked to servers including “Ødyssey.gg,” a public brand guild, and the DarkViperAU editors’ server.
- Microsoft’s deadline covers records tied to the “cyberleek” persona and any linked Xbox or OneDrive accounts.
- Both companies face a September 4 deadline to respond to the court filings.